Eight Most Effective Ayurvedic Remedies for Hair Fall – Seeing clumps of hair falling out every time you comb your hair is no less than a nightmare! It is tough to take situation under control. The underlying fear of baldness makes life miserable! But fear not, as we have brought to you a list of Ayurvedic Remedies for Hair Fall here in this article. Ayurveda is an ancient art of healing various skin, hair and internal health related concerns, with the help of few simple natural ingredients. It is a 5000 year old knowledge which was originated in India. Now-a-days, more and more people are leaning towards Ayurveda to resolve their health or beauty related issues. So, why not try Ayurveda to treat our hair fall problem? Find out the most effective Ayurvedic Remedies for Hair Fall below.
Check – 14 Different Ways to Use Coconut Oil for Hair Loss
Before we proceed to the best Ayurvedic remedies for hair fall, lets find out what Ayurveda says about hair fall.
Ayurvedic Approach to Hair Fall
Ayurveda believes that the secret to hair fall control lies in one’s body type and the stability of their mind-body structure. According to Ayurveda, all the things in this universe is made up of 5 elements – air, fire, water, earth and ether. Human body is no exception either. And there are three doshas in every living object, they are vata, pitta and kapha. These doshas have the supreme control over our body and they determine almost every thing starting from our body type, hair color as well as what kind of illness can possibly trouble us. Ayurveda experts believe that balancing vata, pitta and kapha doshas is the key to lead a healthy life.
These three doshas are linked to three elements, such as vata is related to air, pitta to fire and kapha to water. Generally, any one or two of the doshas dominate our body. Aggravation of vata dosha impacts our nervous system, while pitta is responsible for any health issues related to digestion and metabolism and kapha can affect the lubrication of joints along with immunity and protection of body tissues.
Ayurveda believes that hair fall is caused due to the aggravation of pitta dosha. Normally poor diet, anxiety, stress, etc. can lead to the imbalance of pitta in our body. Pitta balancing herbs such as asparagus and bitter vegetables, etc. are considered in Ayurveda, as effective for hair fall treatment.
Now that we have discussed what Ayurveda believes about hair fall and hair loss, lets find out the most effective Ayurvedic Remedies for Hair Fall.
Best Ayurvedic Remedies for Hair Fall
1. Bhringraj to Stop Hair Fall
Bhringraj is also called keshraj in Ayurveda, meaning ‘King of Hair’. Also known as, king of all herbs, bhringraj is popular for its amazing healing properties. It is specially used to treat various hair related problems like hair fall. It soothes our scalp and nourish the hair follicles to stop hair fall. Moreover, it can contribute to the growth of new hair follicles and thus increases the volume of hair. Bhringraj is not only one of the best Ayurvedic remedies for hair fall, but it can rejuvenate the hair and restore natural color to the hair. It also strengthens the hair roots as well as prevents split ends. This herb can make the hair more manageable and restore life back to damaged hair and make it look lustrous.
Anemia is one of the major causes of hair loss. Bhringraj increases hemoglobin percentage in the blood and helps in anemia treatment. Also it is one of the best natural blood purifiers. It can stimulate the liver and treat edema (unnatural fluid build up in body tissues), which can occasionally lead to hair fall.
How to use bhringraj in Ayurvedic remedies for hair fall?
- Make a paste by mixing 5-6 tbsp bhringraj powder with water and apply it all over the scalp and hair. Let it stay for 20-30 minutes and then wash off using a mild shampoo. Repeat this Ayurvedic remedies for hair fall twice or thrice in a week.
- Add some bhringraj powder to coconut oil and heat the same. Remove from the heat and store the mixture in a separate container. Apply the oil on the scalp and massage thoroughly. Leave it on for 30 minutes and then wash off. Repeat 2-3 times in a week.
2. Use Amla or Indian Gooseberry to Reduce Hair Fall
This is one of the time tested Ayurvedic remedies for hair fall. Not only hair fall, in fact, you can trust amla to resolve almost all of your hair woes. Amla is a storehouse of various minerals, nutrients, amino acids and anti oxidants, which play a vital role in fighting against hair damaging factors. Vitamin C deficiency is one of the causes that can lead to severe hair fall. Amla comes packed with vitamin C. Vitamin C helps to boost collagen production which in turn encourage hair growth. The anti oxidants properties of amla help in protecting the hair and hair follicles from free radical damages and stop hair fall.
The nutrients present in amla help in boosting blood circulation in the scalp and rejuvenate the hair follicles to stop hair fall and induce new hair growth. Regular using of amla for hair also prevents hair breakage, premature graying and split ends. Dandruff can often lead to serious hair fall problem. Vitamin C in amla has anti inflammatory and antibacterial properties that prevent dandruff and combat hair loss caused by this. Amla or Indian gooseberry also helps to restore ideal pH level of the scalp, which is essential for healthy scalp and hair.
How to use amla or Indian gooseberry in Ayurvedic remedies for hair fall?
- Heat 2-3 tbsp coconut oil in a pan and add 1-2 tsp amla powder. Continue heating until the oil changes its color. Remove from the heat when the oil turns brown. Keep the amla infused coconut oil aside to cool. Strain and collect the oil in a bowl. Apply it on the scalp and hair, while it is still slightly warm. Massage well and keep it on for an hour. Wash off with a mild shampoo. Repeat twice or thrice in a week.
- Make a paste by mixing together some amla powder and lemon juice. Apply this on the scalp and massage. Let it sit for an hour and rinse off with plain water. Repeat this Ayurvedic remedies for hair fall 2-3 times in a week.
- Whisk couple of eggs in a bowl until it gets fluffy. Add two tbsp of amla powder to the whisked egg and mix together to get a smooth paste. Apply it on to the hair and scalp and leave it on for an hour. Wash off with a mild shampoo and cold water. Repeat twice in a week.
3. Fight Hair Fall with Fenugreek or Methi
Next comes methi on our list of best Ayurvedic remedies for hair fall. Methi seeds are rich in various nutrients such as folic acid, vitamin A, C, K, potassium, calcium as well as iron. These nutrients work extremely well when it comes to providing nourishment to the hair follicles and boosting hair growth. Also fenugreek seeds come with high amount of protein and nicotinic acid, both of which are extremely beneficial to fight off hair fall. Methi, or fenugreek seeds contain a compound known as ‘lecithinin’. It is very helpful in strengthening hair strands as well as boosting natural hair growth.
Often dandruff leads to uncontrollable hair fall. Methi is very effective in driving the dandruff away, thanks to its lecithinin component along with vitamin C, protein and nicotinic acid. Fenugreek seeds can soothe the scalp and give relief from itchiness due to dandruff. Also it adds a beautiful natural shine to the hair as well as soften the hair strands.
How to use fenugreek or methi in Ayurvedic remedies for hair fall?
- Soak a cup of methi seeds in water overnight. The next morning, grind them to a fine paste. Apply the paste to the scalp and massage gently. Keep it on for 30-45 minutes and wash off. Repeat 2-3 times in a week.
- Roast 2-3 tbsp methi seeds in a pan. Grind them to get a fine powder. Add some coconut oil to the methi powder and make a paste. Apply it all over the hair and scalp. Let it sit for one hour and then wash off with a mild shampoo. Repeat this Ayurvedic remedies for hair fall 2 times in a week.
- Put two tsp methi seeds in the blender and powder them. Add this to two tbsp sesame oil and mix well. Heat this mixture for 10-15 minutes by using a double boiler. Remove from the heat and let it cool down slightly. While it is slightly warm, apply this on the scalp. Massage with your finger tips. Also apply this on the length of your hair. Allow it to sit for 45 minutes to an hour. Use a mild shampoo to wash it off. Repeat twice or thrice in a week.
4. Triphala to Stop Hair Fall
Triphala is the combination of three fruits – Amalaki, Bibhitaki and Haritaki. It has multiple benefits for our health and beauty. It has been seen that people who suffer from constipation, often have to deal with hair loss problem. Triphala has natural laxative properties, which help to clean the bowel and gives relief from hair fall. Triphala is rich in anti oxidants. It contains amalaki as one of its active compounds. It comes with high amount of vitamin C, which not only stops hair fall, but also prevent premature graying and other free radical damages. Iron and phosphorous present in amalaki also facilitates hair growth. Amalaki is also known to boost blood circulation and help in a proper absorption of various minerals that are essential for healthy hair.
Bibhitaki in Triphala helps in strengthening the roots of the hair, thus minimizing hair fall. It also prevent premature graying of hair strands. The anti bacterial and anti fungal properties of haritaki help to purify the scalp and keep it clean, thus eliminating all kinds of bacterial infections that can lead to hair fall.
How to use triphala in Ayurvedic remedies for hair fall?
- Make a thick paste by adding some triphala in warm water. Apply it on the scalp and massage well. Leave it on for 30-40 minutes and wash off. Repeat twice or thrice in a week.
- Alternatively, add 2-3 tbsp triphala powder to some coconut oil. Make a paste and massage it onto the scalp. Keep it on for 30-40 minutes and use a mild shampoo to wash off. Repeat this Ayurvedic remedies for hair fall twice or thrice in a week.
- Mix together 3-4 tbsp each of triphala powder as well as aloe vera juice to make a paste. Apply it on the scalp and hair and wait for 30-40 minutes. Wash off and repeat twice in a week.
- Along with following these Ayurvedic remedies for hair fall, also add triphala to your daily diet.
5. Treat Hair Fall with Aloe Vera
Here comes one of the most popular Ayurvedic remedies for hair fall. Aloe vera comes loaded with various nutrients including vitamins A, B12, C, E, folic acid etc which work wonders when it comes to repair hair damage and restore life back to the hair follicles. The alkaline properties of aloe vera enables it to balance the pH level of the scalp, thus avoiding a host of hair problems including hair fall. The vitamins present in aloe vera boosts cell turnover which in turn leads to new hair growth. Vitamin B12 and folic acid are essential to prevent hair from falling out. Natural enzymes that we find in aloe vera can boost hair growth significantly.
Furthermore, aloe vera has astringent properties which makes it one of the best natural cleansers for our scalp and hair. It removes all the build up and impurities present on the scalp which might have been causing serious hair loss. Aloe vera has anti fungal benefits as well. It can destroy the fungus or microbes present on the scalp and combat hair loss due to any fungal or bacterial infections. Dandruff, as we have already said previously, can cause hair fall. And don’t be surprised if I tell you that aloe vera can drive your dandruff away! The anti fungal properties of aloe vera destroy the dandruff causing fungi, while its enzymatic properties clean the scalp off flakes and excess oil, thus preventing dandruff to come back.
How to use aloe vera in Ayurvedic remedies for hair fall?
- Cut one aloe vera leaf from the plant and slit it. Take out the gel from inside the leaf using a knife or spoon. Apply the fresh aloe vera gel all over the scalp. If required add some water to the gel and mix them nicely for a runny paste like consistency. Let the aloe vera gel sit on the scalp for 30-40 minutes before washing it off. Repeat 2-3 times every week.
- In a bowl, mix together 5 tbsp aloe vera gel with 2 tbsp honey and 3 tbsp coconut oil. Apply this mixture on the scalp and massage well. Also, apply the rest on the length of the hair. Put on a shower cap and leave the mask on for 30-40 minutes. Use a shampoo to wash off. Repeat once in every three days until you get desired result.
- Alternatively, you can use a combination of aloe vera juice and fenugreek powder as one of the most effective Ayurvedic remedies for hair fall. Take about a quarter of a cup of fresh aloe vera juice and add 2 tbsp fenugreek powder to that. Mix together and make a smooth, spreadable paste. Apply it all over the scalp and massage well. Also apply on the length of the hair. Wear a shower cap and allow the mask to sit for an hour. Wash off with a mild shampoo. Follow up with a conditioner. Repeat this treatment twice a week for best result.
6. Treat Hair Fall with Reetha or Soapnut
Reetha or soapnut is one of the ancient treatments for hair fall as well as other hair related issues. It is most commonly used as a hair cleanser. Reetha contains saponin which makes it a great natural cleanser for our hair. Along with that, it contains Vitamin A,D,E and K which help to nourish the scalp and hair roots and reduce the damage to stop hair fall. These vitamins help in making hair smooth and shiny. Also, soapnuts are antibacterial in nature which makes it an ideal solution for treating scalp infections and combat hair loss due to the same. Head lice can damage our scalp and cause hair fall. Reetha, with its insecticidal properties, help to get rid of head lice effectively.
How to use reetha in Ayurvedic remedies for hair fall?
- Soak 100 gms each of amla, reetha and shikakai in two litres of water overnight. The next morning, heat the water and blend the herbs till the water reduces down to half. Remove from heat, let the mixture cool down and then mash the herbs in the water using your hands. Strain the liquid and collect it in another container. This liquid is your homemade reetha shampoo. Wet your hair and apply this shampoo. Lather up and keep it on the hair for 5 minutes. Wash off and follow up with a conditioner. Use this 2-3 times in a week.
- Whisk two eggs in a bowl. Add two tbsp each of dried reetha, amla and shikakai powder to the whisked egg and mix everything together. Apply it on the scalp and massage well. Leave it on for 30 minutes. Wash off with a mild shampoo. Apply conditioner as well. Repeat this application thrice a week to combat hair loss effectively.
- Soak some reetha powder in one and half cup of water for 2-3 hours. Add 2 tsp of fresh lemon juice to that and mix well. Apply this mixture on the scalp and massage well. Allow the mask to sit on the scalp and hair for 30-40 minutes minutes and then wash off with plain water. Since the pack contains reetha, it will work as a hair cleanser. Use a conditioner and repeat this Ayurvedic remedies for hair fall 2-3 times in a week.
7. Get Rid of Hair Fall with Brahmi
When it comes to brahmi, the first thing that comes to our mind is that it works as a memory booster. But it is also one of the most effective Ayurvedic remedies for hair fall. It is loaded with hair friendly nutrients and this herb works extremely well to treat hair loss, specially if its due to abdominal problems. Brahmi is a great hair growth booster. It regenerates new cells and also help repair the hair follicles. Regular use of brahmi can strengthen the scalp tissues and promote healthy hair growth. Moreover, it has the ability to boost blood circulation which helps in nourishing the hair follicles and reducing hair loss.
Brahmi, when used on hair, forms a protective barrier on the hair follicles and keep them safe from damages. This way, it facilitates hair growth and make hair long and more voluminous. Not only hair loss, but brahmi is equally effective in treating split ends and gray hair.
How to use brahmi to fight hair fall?
- Make a paste by grinding fresh brahmi leaves and some water. Apply the paste on the scalp and massage gently. Let it sit for 20-30 minutes and wash off. Repeat every alternate day.
- If you cannot get hold of brahmi leaves, use brahmi powder. Take 2-3 tbsp of brahmi powder in a bowl and add required amount of coconut oil to prepare a paste. Warm it up a bit and apply it on the scalp. Massage and let it sit for 30-40 minutes before washing off. Repeat 2-3 times in a week.
8. Shikakai to Fight Hair Fall
Shikakai is rich in anti oxidants. It contains vitamin A, C, D and K. Along with that, it also has tannins, alkaloids, flavonoids etc which work together to keep your hair healthy and fight off hair fall effectively. The cooling anti septic properties of shikakai soothe the scalp and also gives relief from inflammation. In fact, if dandruff is the reason for your hair fall, shikakai can also help with that, thanks to its anti fungal benefits. The vitamin C present in shikakai gives a collagen boost to our scalp and stimulates hair growth.
How to use shikakai to stop hair fall?
Mix together one tbsp each of amla powder and reetha powder. Whisk two whole eggs in a bowl and add that as well. Also add two tbsp shikakai powder. Mix together and if required, add some warm water as well. Apply it thoroughly all over the hair and scalp and hair. Let it sit for 30 minutes and wash off with cool water and a mild shampoo. Repeat twice in a week.
These were 8 most effective Ayurvedic remedies for hair fall. These remedies are not uncommon, but many at times we ignore them for the sake of store bought shampoos or serums. However, these Ayurvedic remedies can give far better result! Don’t believe me? Try out yourself to see the result 🙂