This post is sponsored by Avon, all thoughts are my own
During the summer, evenings are my favorite time of day- it’s well past 6 pm, the sun is beginning to set, the kids want to hang out by the pool, it’s not as hot as it was hours ago. It could all be so perfect, except one little problem from an uninvited guest- mosquitos.
Mosquitos are a problem for a multitude of reasons:
- They bite, and it hurts and itches
- They bite, and they carry West Nile Virus
- They bite, and they carry Zika Virus
- They bite, and they carry other less commonly discussed diseases like encephalitis, dengue, chikungunya.
- They make that annoying sound in your ear that makes you slap yourself in the side of your head.
I could keep going, but you get the point. Mosquitoes have the potential to ruin a gathering or your life. Products like citronella oils only last so long (not to mention you have to be eerily close to the smoke to get some protection), and DEET is a headache. So what do you use? And why do I hate DEET?
The problem with DEET
Once upon a time, DEET was the most commonly used product to repel mosquitos. DEET was developed by the U.S. Army back in 1946. While DEET has been proven to not present a health concern to the users, it does have the potential to cause skin irritation, and damage rubber, plastic, leather, latex, rayon, spandex, elastic and paint. In addition, if you leave DEET on your hands and ingest it, it may cause stomach irritation, vomiting, and nausea. We needed an alternative and got it in 1998 and 1999 when picaridin and IR3535 were synthesized.
Picaridin & IR3535
Picaridin is a DEET alternative introduced to the United States back in 2005. Unlike DEET, picaridin is odorless, non-greasy, does not dissolve synthetics and is just as effective as DEET.
IR3535 was developed in the 1980’s in Germany but introduced to the US in 1999. IR3535 has no substantial adverse effects and is not harmful when ingested, inhaled or used on skin.
The best insect repellant- Avon Bug Guard
Take the bite out of summer with the full Avon Bug Guard collection. Avon offers mosquito repellents and DEET-free bug sprays and lotions that work hard no matter what time of day it may be.
Avon Bug Guard IR3535 Expedition repels mosquitos, deer ticks and UVA rays with this collection of pump and aerosol sprays. Avon Bug Guard IR3535 Expedition contains IR3535, an ingredient that provides repellency against a broad range of biting insects including mosquitos, deer ticks, black flies, gnats, no-see-ums and biting midges. It applies with ease, absorbs quickly, provides SPF protection, and has a beautiful powdery floral scent. Simply apply evenly before sun and insect exposure and reapply after 8 hours. This line is perfect for adventures in the woods during the day.
Need something water resistant? Avon Bug Guard Plus IR3535 Gentle Breeze SPF 30 Lotion protects against all the critters we talked about, plus provides the skin with SPF 30 protection and is water resistant for 80 minutes.
Avon Skin So Soft Bug Guard Plus Picaridin repels mosquitos and deer ticks with this collection of pump and aerosol sprays and towelettes. Avon Skin So Soft Bug Guard Plus Picaridin repels a broad spectrum of biting insects, DEET free, oil free and dermatologist tested. Simply apply evenly and reapply every 8 hours for mosquitos, 3 hours for black flies and 6 hours for everything else. This is great for those late in the evening on the patio sessions.
Need something TSA friendly? Avon Skin So Soft Bug Guard Plus Picaridin Insect Repellant Towelettes provide all the protection that the pump and aerosol formulas provide in a convenient travel-sized towelette that can be stowed in your carry-on bag.
Additional mosquito-busting tips
- Eliminate standing water- drain old tires, buckets, unused pools, flowerpots, toys and trailers left outside that typically collect rainwater. Mosquitos love to lay eggs in standing water
- Run fans- rapid air movement confuses mosquitos and they are not strong enough to fight the breeze
- Wear light colors- mosquitoes use their vision to find food and look for things that contrast with the horizon, therefore they are less attracted to light colors.
- Been bitten? No big deal Avon Skin So Soft Bug Guard Plus Anti-Itch Spray relieves the itch from bug bites with soothing menthol.